Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Flash will be gone by late 2020, what does this mean for BEO2?
04-27-2019, 12:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2019 02:42 PM by Retnuh.)
Flash will be gone by late 2020, what does this mean for BEO2?
https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2465821
(The thread that brought this to my attention)

I don't claim to understand exactly what this entails from a development perspective, but it seems that BEO2 will be down by late 2020 unless the game is ported to a different language. I havn't noticed any other talk of this so let's hope I'm interpreting it wrong, consider this a conversation starter.

From the official adobe announcement:

"...Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats."
Find all posts by this user
Warn the author for this post
04-27-2019, 04:54 PM
RE: Flash will be gone by late 2020, what does this mean for BEO2?
It doesn't mean much of anything at the moment. Just like BEO isn't being actively updated or developed, so will be flash player. The difference is that there won't be any new users coming in. For those of us already here, we won't have a problem until we get new computers. All of us will be able to play until either we upgrade or there's no one left to play with. That said, we could still get unverified, potentially dangerous, copies of flash for new computers, but I wouldn't recommend that unless it was absolutely 100% necessary for another purpose (such as school work or an intra-office reluctance to change for those who work)

For developers, they've known about this for a longer time (I knew about it a couple years ago, myself). Thats why you've seen a shift away from flash to Unity and other developing software (rpg maker, anyone?). So, for now, they don't need to do anything other than try to become more familiar with an alternative software and continue making games that people enjoy.

What does this mean for BadViking and BEO, then?
In short: only Rob and John know for sure. As I mentioned above, developers have known for awhile, and that's why Rob and John made Broken Ground using Unity player instead of flash player. To get a better understanding of how it worked and to plan for the future. Whether or not they make another game in the spirit of BEO and BG is up to them (and hopefully they would announce something to us after reading this post, if there are plans, that is). I know that the less-than-stellar mark that BG left hurt in many ways, so the future of BV is and always has been up to the Donkins.

Indie game developers will continue to do what they love, just as players will continue to play the games until the day they go offline. The landscape is always changing, for better or worse, but change always brings innovation and paves the way for others. The players of today could very well end up being the developers of tomorrow.

[Image: Tenchi2_zps0626348d.png]
04-27-2019, 07:06 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2019 11:02 AM by Retnuh.)
I was told that the servers for BG were shut down due to poor traction on a player-base (I don't follow much news, if this is wrong please correct me). I hope that this doesn't break spirit for future game development. I feel bad that although I installed it at launch, I quickly returned to playing beo because I didn't feel like it added anything new to what beo already provided. Maybe I was too quick to judge, and the difference in game engine certainly provides more room for extra features, but alas, I didn't get hooked.
04-29-2019, 12:53 AM
The problem that had broken ground is the bad acceptance of the users of steam, they are used to games of very high graphics, and without having tested the gameplay of broken ground prejudged that it was a bad version of the game worms.
A game such as beo2 or BG are games that until you test their gameplay tends to be the subject of bad reviews, but yp I am totally sure that if the servers had not been closed and the game would continue to today active I would have a great rating on steam.
It's a real shame what happened, because the only ones who could have defended the BG project kept playing beo2 without minding the newest game BG, very bad on their part, now it's completely closed BG and now it's when all the players lament, the real fault lies with the players who never completely migrated from beo2 to BG, it's a real shame and I'm looking forward to being surprised by the Donkin brothers..
05-01-2019, 12:06 AM
It's certainly a concern but it's still over a year away. At the very least there will still be the mobile version of the game and anyone with a downloaded flash player will still be able to play the browser version. We don't have any plans to port the game at this time.

[Image: RobSig01.png][Image: RobSig02.png][Image: RobSig03.png][Image: RobSig04.png]
06-13-2019, 11:12 PM
I really dont want to lose everything i have on BEO1 or 2... Smiley_Sad((
07-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Good! I was waiting to hear if mobile would still be there. Glad so, because im getting closer to reaching my current goal of 10 million xp on BadEggs2, and I for damn sure wouldn't want it to end all because of the flash player bs. Thankyou Rob & John for making the mobile version a thing because without it, id probably would hardly play only considering because majority of the BEO2 community uses mobile. So thankyou guys once again!

#NeverGetRidOfBadEggs2ForMobile

[Image: Screenshot_20181117-195857.jpg?width=651...height=407]
07-15-2019, 12:09 AM
(04-29-2019 12:53 AM)piperrakk Wrote:  The problem that had broken ground is the bad acceptance of the users of steam, they are used to games of very high graphics, and without having tested the gameplay of broken ground prejudged that it was a bad version of the game worms.
A game such as beo2 or BG are games that until you test their gameplay tends to be the subject of bad reviews, but yp I am totally sure that if the servers had not been closed and the game would continue to today active I would have a great rating on steam.
It's a real shame what happened, because the only ones who could have defended the BG project kept playing beo2 without minding the newest game BG, very bad on their part, now it's completely closed BG and now it's when all the players lament, the real fault lies with the players who never completely migrated from beo2 to BG, it's a real shame and I'm looking forward to being surprised by the Donkin brothers..
Whoa now, easy there, you can't go blaming the failure of BG on the players themselves, the failure rests solely on those who made the game. They are the ones who decided to ignore BEO2 for a long while as they were developing BG, yet the players kept playing and paying and new folks were joining along the way. The ease of opening any computer and playing BEO and BEO2 was a huge positive over the last decade, and the decision to release what was was essentially BEO3 (or 2.5 from some of the reviews) on a "platform" that is different than where your entire user base accesses it ultimately doomed the game.

I wish the Donkins all the best in whatever they're doing these days.