Poll: What do you think about the idea?
It's a good idea, it can solve issues.
It's a bad idea, it should not be implemented.
It's an okay idea, but it needs more work.
It's an irrelevant idea that would have no effect whatsoever.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Spectators
06-24-2016, 04:26 AM
Spectators
While thinking about tournaments earlier, I realized that there is always a flaw when planning, hosting and managing them — the only ones that can see exactly how a match went are the ones playing in it. This has been addressed by various methods (requiring all participants to confirm the match outcome, ask for videos, and so on), but ultimately those are workarounds that attempt to alleviate a problem that isn't being solved.

So what I'm proposing is to add the ability to spectate in a match — that is, to be there without playing. Spectators would join by regular means (invite code, friends list, perhaps the lobby), but they would not join as players; additionally, they would be able to join full match rooms, provided that they are currently waiting for the match to start and not playing the actual match.

Spectators would show up in a separate list next to the players list (there isn't much available space in the waiting screen for matches, but they could be crammed in a reduced spot, considering only their clan tag and username needs to be shown — their stats (level, prestige, etc) are irrelevant), without having a ready/not ready state; they wouldn't need to confirm being ready before the match starting, as they aren't players. They would be able to chat, but not team chat; they wouldn't be able to see any team's team chat. Spectators would be able to join only during the waiting time between matches, but they would be able to leave at any time; this would be shown in the chat just like any other join and leave.

This would solve the visibility issue for tournament matches once and for all, as well as allow for other things such as newbie induction (an experienced player could show them how to play a match before they dive in). In particular, a spectator would be able to focus on ensuring that the match proceeds well and on recording the match is needed, thus freeing the players from the burden of recording (which often causes unneeded lag).

What do you think about this? Would it be a good idea, would it just be awful, or does it need more work?

PS: a match option could be added to disable spectators altogether, similar to the "positive rep only" option. This would prevent people from being stalked in matches and similar issues.

Find all posts by this user
Warn the author for this post
06-24-2016, 04:37 AM
RE: Spectators
Omqq you beat me tooo thissssssss. But I like the idea but the part about spectators being able to see team chat..they will be able to see all team tactics and shout it out

06-24-2016, 04:39 AM
This is a very popular idea, personally I like it, but it has been posted many times and I'm not sure if Rob or John have given a final answer to this request.
06-24-2016, 04:41 AM
(06-24-2016 04:39 AM)Grim-Cat Wrote:  This is a very popular idea, personally I like it, but it has been posted many times and I'm not sure if Rob or John have given a final answer to this request.
Yea but will need to be improved

06-24-2016, 04:43 AM
(06-24-2016 04:37 AM)(BBG) TheBigBlackGuy Wrote:  Omqq you beat me tooo thissssssss. But I like the idea but the part about spectators being able to see team chat..they will be able to see all team tactics and shout it out

Nope:

(06-24-2016 04:26 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:  They would be able to chat, but not team chat;
06-24-2016, 04:44 AM (This post was last modified: 06-24-2016 04:44 AM by Inuyasha.)
The issue about spectators being able to see team chat is that this lends too well to unfair external collusion. (For instance, I can join as a spectator, see all teams' team chats, and tell one of the teams via some chat what the rest is planning.) That's why I said that they wouldn't be able to see or use team chats.

EDIT: 800th post, woo

06-24-2016, 09:01 AM
Very good suggestion, Sadly the only one I ever thought was a good idea.

[Image: hT3s45Z.jpg?1]
06-24-2016, 02:57 PM
(06-24-2016 04:44 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:  The issue about spectators being able to see team chat is that this lends too well to unfair external collusion. (For instance, I can join as a spectator, see all teams' team chats, and tell one of the teams via some chat what the rest is planning.) That's why I said that they wouldn't be able to see or use team chats.

EDIT: 800th post, woo

This is one possible issue, another being that particular spectators (whether intentionally or unintentionally) create the risk of excessively lagging the game (whereby the game might close on itself, or shots won't register).

That being said, there are ways to counter or reduce that risk, and I'm sure the creators are well capable of it. It's just something to consider, though. Additionally I suppose the whole problem can be avoided by an individual just disabling spectators.

Personally, I don't mind it as an idea. I wouldn't personally have use for it (neither would you!), but it would be a nifty feature.

[Image: tumblr_md962k302i1rk2qtwo1_500.gif]
06-24-2016, 04:14 PM
I remember suggesting this on my old forum account, till someone figured out my password. I don't think I explained better then you.

By the way- TheSwagger was not my name it actually was eggkiller2301

http://www.badeggsonline.com/beo2-forum/...p?tid=1091

I requested 2 years ago.

[Image: UMMZ3dC.gif]
06-24-2016, 08:54 PM
(06-24-2016 02:57 PM)Seshomaru Wrote:  This is one possible issue, another being that particular spectators (whether intentionally or unintentionally) create the risk of excessively lagging the game (whereby the game might close on itself, or shots won't register).

That being said, there are ways to counter or reduce that risk, and I'm sure the creators are well capable of it. It's just something to consider, though. Additionally I suppose the whole problem can be avoided by an individual just disabling spectators.

A simple way of countering this and preventing it from becoming an issue is imposing much stricter constraints on synchronization/wait time for spectators. The game waits around 25 seconds between turns so all players can synchronize — it shouldn't wait that long for a spectator. Same with all other kinds of synchronization and waiting that the game does.
Ultimately, since a spectator isn't actually playing the game, they can be ignored by the server if they are being the cause of lag. The primary goal should always be to give the players the best experience, not the spectators; it is the spectators' responsibility to have a good enough connection if they want to spectate a full match at maximum quality.

(06-24-2016 04:14 PM)Hiddenkiller2301 Wrote:  I remember suggesting this on my old forum account, till someone figured out my password. I don't think I explained better then you.

By the way- TheSwagger was not my name it actually was eggkiller2301

http://www.badeggsonline.com/beo2-forum/...p?tid=1091

I requested 2 years ago.

I figured it wouldn't be a completely novel idea, but I couldn't find any recent thread about it, and it seemed better to just start a new one instead of digging up a long dead one.