Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
The history game.
01-02-2015, 07:40 AM
RE: The history game.
Well this is about different languages as well. Languages are a part of history right? Also this is about languages. And learn the world.
Find all posts by this user
01-02-2015, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2015 09:54 AM by Echo (L93).)
Oooh I like this game. Before I start mind you I know all of this from what I've learned. I'm addicted to some parts in history, also, I have pretty intense history courses.

(12-30-2014 11:21 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:  Define "first birthday". If you mean "one year after colonization", that means 1493-10-12 (Julian date), one year after Christopher Columbus found America.
Since continents (unlike cities or countries) have no such thing as a foundation date, there's no way to add one year to it -- thus no official dates here.
As you said later the first people who found it were the people who crossed the "land bridge" or just the natives who settled there. Hooowever. The Vikings discovered the lands of Northeastern Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick) Between 800-1000 C.E.
There is historical evidence as they tried to settle there but were wiped out.

Don't think the Vikings did? The Chinese found America next during the Ming Dynasty, right after the Chinese restored their empire from the Mongols, who occupied them for the last 200 years.

Chinese discovered America in 1421, though there is controversy about it, there is evidence in China with various goods from pacific regions including Chinook trades such as spices and furs that were implemented in Chinese culture and lifestyle. The Chinese did not establish colonies or any of that, but they landed, and had some trade.

Then, like you said, explorer Columbus discovered America in 1492 while trying to find India. He actually did this for a faster trade route away from the taxed places of the soon to be declining Middle East, this is why Indians are called what they are, as he actually thought he was there.

(12-31-2014 10:29 AM)Gold man 2 Wrote:  I'm not sure if I am right but I think it is William Howard Taft.

When did world war 1 end?

William Howard Taft was an American president. Before World War I, America had no interventions with Europe and was not considered a global power until their intervention in 1917 right before the end of the war. The person assassinated was Archduke Franz Ferdinand, The Heir to the Austrian-Hungary Empire. They declared war on Russia, as Serbia was in control of the Russians then, and then various people declared war on one another, and their ally Germany was forced into it on terms of alliance. This begins the delightful history of what many people think are Germans, which are violent, when in reality they are the direct opposite.

(12-31-2014 10:37 AM)Inuyasha Wrote:  1918.

Treaty of Versailles! Was signed 5 years to the date after the initial assassination Smiley_Tongue

(12-31-2014 06:55 PM)Shadow Wrote:  Ok my question
What was the story of Mahabharata was about??

I learned about this at the beginning of the year, so can't tell much about it as I haven't personally studied it. This is Hindi and is one of the holy books of the ethic religion of Hinduism. Tells the tale of the Kurukshetra War and it's fate over the two main characters, I know one of them is Pandava. It teaches lessons about the I think 4 purusharthas.

If I may take a question, hehe. What were Napoleons allies, did he turn against his allies, and what big mistake did he commit that was later seen on a much greater scale?

[Image: giphy.gif]
"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin
Warn the author for this post
01-02-2015, 10:37 PM
(01-02-2015 07:40 AM)Gold man 2 Wrote:  Well this is about different languages as well. Languages are a part of history right? Also this is about languages. And learn the world.

Language is very much a part of history, yes. Smiley_Smile I was just wondering if you intended for the question to delve into the origins of the word, as well.

Answer one: Great Britain, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Prussia and Sweden.

Answer two: He did, during the consolidation of the Peninsular War. He ordered French troops into Spain, aiming to invade Portugal, and then replaced the Spanish monarch with his own brother, taking King Charles IV and his son as prisoners.

Answer three: The replacement in the monarchy led to uprisings across Spain, and then Portugal. This resistance turned against France, with Britain following suit. Austria and Prussia followed, with Austria defeating Napoleon in battle a few months later. Despite Napoleon defeating Austria in a following battle, he lost hundreds of thousands of troops during the Peninsular War. He lost the majority of what remained of his army when he attempted to invade Russia. Failing to learn from the mistakes of other invaders before him, his army starved to death after Alexander I implemented a scorched-earth policy.

Napoleon also introduced the Continental System, attempting to block all trade with Britain, which ultimately failed due to Britain's resistance.

Good questions, by the way. I take quite an interest in the Napoleonic Wars!

[Image: jXtvKC8.png]
01-02-2015, 11:11 PM
holy moly! First time reading this thread. And here i thought it was going to be a google-search forray. Boy was i wrong! I'm thoroughly impressed and humbled by you both Echo and Tally. I studied some areas of history but it never really piqued my interest heavily enough to seriously study it.

I'm just glad i managed to get a post in w/o a previous question Smiley_Wink thanks tally.

Here's my contribution, a simple one. I'll try to think of more clever questions in the future. What is the current area that used to be known as mesopotamia called today?

(for the record i've never had much interest in the forum games. But this one has learning in it Smiley_BigGrin )

Goldman2 Wrote: "i'm only in 5th grade"
My daughter is in the same grade as you....i feel old

01-02-2015, 11:52 PM
To be honest, so did I! I think this thread was a very good idea. Smiley_Smile Re: the Napoleonic Wars, I wasn't very interested at first, until I started to watch Sharpe a couple of years ago. I've always enjoyed picking up little bits of information as I go along, as it tends to come in handy at later dates.

Woops! I'd forgotten to post another question; I think I'm still recovering from New Year's Eve! Smiley_XD

You've got me stumped with that question. I believe it had something to do with a river system, but I haven't a clue what it's called today. Hopefully somebody else can give you a real answer!

01-04-2015, 09:09 AM
Technically speaking history is an occurance of pastime events. which is the time before the time we are currently in therefore this is technically a history question sence it was in the past.

Who won the Patriots V.s Bills game

[Image: aSL4oH2.png]
01-04-2015, 08:13 PM
We're still on the previous question, I'm afraid! Smiley_BigGrin I'd sooner not spoil the game by doing a Google search, so hopefully somebody who knows the answer will pop up!

01-05-2015, 02:43 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 02:47 AM by Echo (L93).)
(01-04-2015 09:09 AM)uncharted3457 Wrote:  Who won the Patriots V.s Bills game

Ahahaha yesss Smiley_Heart BILLS! 17-9 BREAK THE PATRIOTS 35 GAME WINNING STREAK AT HOME

(01-02-2015 11:11 PM)Vexis Wrote:  Here's my contribution, a simple one. I'll try to think of more clever questions in the future. What is the current area that used to be known as mesopotamia called today?

The countries? Iran, Iraq, Syria.

The name for the general area? Southwest Asia

The more historical name for this area? The fertile crescent.

(01-02-2015 10:37 PM)Tally Wrote:  Answer one: Great Britain, Portugal, Spain, Russia, Prussia and Sweden.

All right I believe except Great Britain. The Napoleon wars took place from ~1790 - 1810. You have to remember that before this..

The French lost to the British in the French and Indian war in 1763, giving up Quebec to the British.

Also that:

The French guided and assisted the Americans in the American Revolution in order to control Britain power in North America, and just to weaken them overall as that was their strongest colony until Australia and India. (Both colonized and conquered later)

The English and French didn't have a nice relationship until around 1900, and then in WWI when they were allies for the first time against the Central Powers.

(01-02-2015 10:37 PM)Tally Wrote:  Answer three: The replacement in the monarchy led to uprisings across Spain, and then Portugal. This resistance turned against France, with Britain following suit. Austria and Prussia followed, with Austria defeating Napoleon in battle a few months later. Despite Napoleon defeating Austria in a following battle, he lost hundreds of thousands of troops during the Peninsular War. He lost the majority of what remained of his army when he attempted to invade Russia. Failing to learn from the mistakes of other invaders before him, his army starved to death after Alexander I implemented a scorched-earth policy. !

Napoleon made the same mistake as Adolf Hitler. They both didn't take note of the harshness of Russian winters, and were not properly prepared. Nice by the way.

How the German Confederation formed? When was this? What countries were apart of it?

[Image: giphy.gif]
"A lie told often enough becomes the truth." - Vladimir Lenin
01-05-2015, 02:59 AM (This post was last modified: 01-05-2015 03:00 AM by Tally.)
(01-05-2015 02:43 AM)Echo (L93) Wrote:  All right I believe except Great Britain. The Napoleon wars took place from ~1790 - 1810. You have to remember that before this..

The French lost to the British in the French and Indian war in 1763, giving up Quebec to the British.

Also that:

The French guided and assisted the Americans in the American Revolution in order to control Britain power in North America, and just to weaken them overall as that was their strongest colony until Australia and India. (Both colonized and conquered later)

The English and French didn't have a nice relationship until around 1900, and then in WWI when they were allies for the first time against the Central Powers.

My mistake - I misread the original question. I was referring to the signed treaties, which ended the Napoleonic Wars.

(01-05-2015 02:43 AM)Echo (L93) Wrote:  How the German Confederation formed? When was this? What countries were apart of it?

Just putting in that, although I don't have enough time to answer this just yet, I will later on! Smiley_BigGrin Love this subject!

01-07-2015, 12:14 AM
Next question, how did George Washington became first president and General of the revolutionary war?